Chanticleer Garden!

by Susan Harris on May 17, 2011

I recently I stopped by my absolute favorite public garden - Chanticleer – on my way to a Meet the Author event at the Rodale Institute (after repeatedly cursing the signage around Philly and needing the garden’s receptionist to talk me in over the phone).  Here are a few of my favorite scenes there, starting with the Tennis Court Garden because of its history as just that.

Below is an example of how just a little bit of mowing can make a short meadow look cared for, and inviting to walk through.

Below, Primula popping up through a bed of Horsetail, which one of the gardeners warned me about.  You know how it goes – once you have it, you’ll never get rid of it.

Finally, the kitchen garden, which gardener Doug Croft surrounds with red clover because the rabbits will eat it instead of the vegetables.  Looks pretty, too.

Click here for more of my favorite scenes at Chanticleer and here to meet some of Chanticleer’s expert staff.  All photos taken May 13, 2011.

{ 11 comments }

Kylee from Our Little Acre May 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Susan, that primula photo is just gorgeous! Well, they all are, but that one I especially like. I’ve not been to Chanticleer. Yet. I’ll get there, though. :-)

flwjane May 17, 2011 at 9:40 pm

My favorite garden. Every year I swear I’ll go back, then every weekend finds me toiling in my own garden.
But this is a sign.
I’ll return.

Beautiful pictures.

Pam/Digging May 18, 2011 at 12:43 am

I LOVE Chanticleer. I have only been once, in mid-summer, but one day I’m going to see it in early spring when the bulbs are blooming. Did you see them?

susan harris May 18, 2011 at 7:30 am

Pam, I didn’t see the bulbs – except for the awesome alliums – and have only seen the garden in May and September. How’d you like mid-summer?

Jennifer P May 19, 2011 at 8:45 pm

One of my all time favorites. The Ruin garden is spectacular in mid -summer…..

Layanee May 20, 2011 at 7:13 am

I cannot believe that I have yet to visit Chanticleer. I will get there. I will! Beautiful photos.

Jean@Dig,Grow,Compost,Blog June 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Oh, I just love that place! So interesting and inventive. Makes me wish I lived in the Philly area!

Alison Kerr | Loving Nature's Garden June 21, 2011 at 10:11 am

The meadow looks gorgeous.Is it a native flower meadow?

It’s a smart idea to plant red clover for the rabbits. I used red clover as a cover crop in my vegetable garden last winter and the rabbits do seem to prefer it over anything else.

Susan Harris June 21, 2011 at 10:36 am

Alison, sorry I don’t know what’s in that meadow.

Karen Fugelo June 24, 2011 at 9:30 am

Visited for the first time this year – Loved it !! Need to go back to see what’s new for June, July, August…

Randy J, Garden Arbors July 19, 2011 at 8:37 pm

That is a great garden. I like the meadows too. So peaceful.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: